We are delighted to announce that Marshall Day Acoustics has been engaged by Mona to provide acoustic design consultancy for the Museum of Old and New Art’s Homo Hotel (HOtel at MOna), which will be located next to the existing museum in Hobart, Tasmania.
The founder of Mona, David Walsh, revealed plans in for the long anticipated “next phase” of the gallery in July, 2017. Marshall Day was engaged on the original Mona development and our team is thrilled to be back for the project’s next phase.
The 3.5 ha site development proposal, designed by Fender Katsalidis Architects includes:
- 172 Hotel rooms "elevated above the Derwent River" in an inverted suspension bridge structure
- Outdoor stage and amphitheatre with "children's sculpture and an expansive playground"
- 1,075 seat indoor theatre for "a range of performances including music, circus, dance, plays, musicals, speech nights, school concerts, cinema, comedy, conferences, business launches and events"
- 1,000 capacity function and events centre for "AGM-style events, product exhibitions, conventions and performances"
- A "private, members-only, high-limits, poker machine-free (casino) for non-Tasmanians, designed as an 'anti casino'"
- Three level library holding "David Walsh's large and expanding collection of rare books and manuscripts"
- Spa treatment centre "that's hard to describe because we haven't figured it out yet"
- Access to HOMO "will be encouraged by water with the hotel entry integrated with the ferry terminal"
Marshall Day has been engaged to provide acoustic design for the 1,075 seat theatre, the function room and the outdoor amphitheatre.
The theatre is one of the most flexible designs we have developed to-date with a performance brief calling for:
- Rock and roll concerts
- Conference plenary sessions
- Spoken drama
- Comedy festivals
- Cabaret style supper functions
- Symphony concerts
Additionally, the theatre has a wide range of formats and can be configured to suit:
- In the round performances
- Theatre with seated patrons using a traditional proscenium arch stage format
- Standing areas for popular music concerts